Jail Release for Child Support

If someone has been arrested in Travis County due to failure to pay child support, you need to find out who asked for the person to be put in jail.  You can review the paperwork that was signed by the Judge when that person was committed to find this out.  It is usually called a Commitment Order or something similar.  You can get that in the district clerk’s office at the Travis County Courthouse, First floor, 1000 Guadalupe, Austin, TX 78701.  You need to find out whether the Travis County Domestic Relations Office or the Texas Attorney General Child Support Division is the one who put him in jail.  Whichever it is, you need to contact that office and they can tell you how much the bond is to get him released and when he is likely to be released or have his next court date.  See this link to the Travis County Domestic Relations Office to get more information including phone numbers to call.  Keep in mind that when going to make a payment for their release they only accept money orders and cashier’s checks, not cash or personal checks.  
Many people want to hire an attorney to handle this process, which is fine and useful if you cannot get off work to handle it or get overwhelmed by the bureaucracy.  However, many people would be better served in taking any money they would use to hire an attorney and putting that towards the bond and any back-owed child support.  In the end, it’s money they want and it’s money they shall get.  It would be better to try to catch up than hire someone to tell you what you already know; you’re far behind in payments and need to catchup.  
Barring any mistake in payment credits, disability payments, agreements from the custodial parent to waive some arrears in exchange for a large payment now, it’s usually best to make the payments and try to put yourself back in the Court’s good graces.  To determine whether you or your loved one qualifies for any reductions in child support, it is best to contact an attorney and at least discuss your options before deciding on a course of action.


Change of Name in Divorce Suit
A party wanting to change their name back to a maiden name can do so in a Final Decree of Divorce.  They must specifically mention a name change in their Original Petition of Divorce and must include the new name in their Final Decree of Divorce that is signed by the Judge.  Texas Family Code 45.106 is the law that allows you to combine a name change with your Divorce. If you do not include a name change with your divorce, for instance if you change your mind later and want a name change a few months or years after the divorce, then you will have to file a new change of name suit, pay around $275 in filing fees, and take time out of your day to schedule another hearing with the Court to ask permission to change your name. This is an expense,and hassle that is best avoided the first time around by including it in your Divorce.